By Baron Bruno de Chillaz






Note: It is with deep regret that we learned that Bruno passed away peacefully on August 26, 2014. Here is a link to his memorial.



September 1, 1998 (corrected 2005)


            Gentes Dames et Gentilshommes, Ladies and Gentlemen,


 I am trying to have a look at my family history.



            Click here to listen to Bruno’s music.


            NOTE: After viewing Pictures highlighted below, click on the arrow <-Back” to return to this page.


Looking first for a hero: I chose Pedro de MARIGNY de MANDEVILLE (June 15, 1751 - May 14, 1800), buried in Saint‑Louis Cathedral in New Orleans, near St‑Francis altar, with his father and grandfather (a complete collection of true certificates has established the proofs of direct lineage, except my own birth certificate, see below why).


Pedro married Miss Jeanne Marie d'Estrehan (today Destrehan) who lived in the superb and well‑known plantation of Destrehan, near New Orleans.


This plantation had been before a property of a related family: the Robin de Logny family. The US Gov. had moved an inlaid table from the first floor of this house to The White House, Washington, D.C.


Jeanne Marie's father was the hated General Treasurer of Louisiana, Jean Baptiste d’Estrehan (Sp. Catherine de Gauvry). The King of France regarded this man as "too rich and too dangerous." D’Estrehan was a true cool man: as they discovered a big budget deficit, the fact proved him not to be guilty because the most important taxpayers were . . .  dead. Nobody knew if they died before or after the audit!


Jeanne Marie brothers' were Jean‑Noel, American Senator (l812), and Jean‑Baptiste d’Estrehan Jr. who married Miss Felicity de Saint‑Maxent. His widow married later Count Bernardo de Galvez, who became Vice‑King of Mexico and they had a daughter: Guadalupe. Mexico City was her Godmother.



THE FACTS: Pedro de Marigny de Mandeville, Musketeer of His Very Christian Majesty the King of France Louis XV and Knight of the Royal and Military Order of Saint Louis, enlisted in the "Compagnie de la Marine", campaigned against British troops in Ft‑Bute of Mandchak, Baton‑Rouge (l779), LaMobile [Mobile] (l780). He was Spanish Governor Bernard Galvez's aide‑de‑camp at the siege of Pensacola (l 781).


 Proofs: Spanish military archives, stored in "Archivo General de la India"‑ Papeles procedentes de la Isla de Cuba, legajo 161‑a, in Sevilla, Spain.


On Galvez recommendation, Pedro settled Spaniards from Canary Islands on his own plantation (La Terre aux Boeufs) and around New Orleans. They called them "los Islenos" or "Islanders."


Pedro lent the Duke of Orleans (who became later King Louis‑Philippe, King of the French) 1,000 piastre‑fortres, when he visited him in New Orleans. According to His Majesty's letters, duke of Orleans was (only) charmed by "La Perle" ("The Pearl"), Antonia Maria, pretty Pedro's daughter. The King used to write "My dear Marquis" to Pedro  . . .  so Pedro conferred the title of Marquis upon himself.




Pedro's great‑great grandfather was: Pierre PHILIPPE, Sieur de Marigny, from a village named Marigny, near OMAHA beach, destroyed while D Day, June 6, 1944, today included in the village of Longues‑sur‑Mer, France, Normandy, France, sp. 1638: Chretienne Souart, from St‑Sauveur, near Bayeux, Normandy, France, furs merchant, ennobled Dec. 1654. He fought against Iroquois Indians.


Pedro's great‑grandfather, Pierre PHILIPPE's son, was Jean‑Vincent PHILIPPE, Sieur du Hautmesnil [area now included in Montreal, Canada], sp. 19‑1‑1671 St‑Symphorien de Bayeux, Marie‑Catherine Lambert de Baussy , (Jacques’, Sieur du Fresne [de Mandeville], & Françoise‑Catherine Morel’s daughter) from Bayeux, Normandy. Rue (street) St‑Vincent in Montreal reminds his memory.


Pedro's grandfather was Jean‑Francois PHILIPPE, Sieur de Marigny et de Mandeville, b. 21‑6‑1685 in Montreal, d. 24‑10‑1728 New‑Orleans, buried in St‑Louis Cathedral, New‑Orleans, sp. 1720 in LaMobile, Louisiana: Madeleine Lemaire (Pierre & Marguerite Lamothe) from St‑Sulpice, Paris. Widow, she m. 1729 Jean‑Francois Broutin; Jean‑Francois went to Louisiana circa 1702 ("was in Fort MaurepasBiloxi 1700", according to another info), ensign 1705, lieutenant 2‑9‑1710, captain 1714, major de la Nouvelle‑Orléans 1727‑1728. Opposite to Bienville policy.


Pedro's father was Antoine Enguerrand PHILIPPE de MARIGNY de MANDEVILLE, born Feb. 28, 1722, La Mobile, m. Jan. 8, 1748 Francoise de Lisle in New Orleans, d. Nov. 1779, buried in St‑Louis Cathedral, New‑Orleans.


PROBLEM: Simultaneously, 1781, another of my great‑grandfather, Count Francois Joseph Marie Henri de Viry (direct lineage with proofs), Savoy's Ambassador to London, married Augusta Sandwich.  Her father: the fast food British inventor ‑ I am not talking of Mr. McDonald ‑ but of John Montagu (1718‑92), 4th Earl of Sandwich, at least twice First Lord of the British Admiralty, 1748‑51 and 1771‑82. [Francois de Viry’s father ‑ Count Joseph Marie Francois Justin de Viry, my ancestor too ‑ was Napoleon's Chamberlain ‑ as a mercenary, since Savoy was not French then. He married Henrietta Jeanne Speed (father: Samuel Speed, mother: Cardonnel Jones). They have buried him in the Church of "Le Pantheon" in Paris (our Arlington Cemetery)]. Her mother: the famous actress and opera singer Martha Ray, John’s mistress, who was murdered later by a pastor)



MONTAGU, John (4th Earl of Sandwich) (l 718‑92), politician and naval administrator. A member of the 'Bedford gang' of politicians associated with the 4th Russell Duke of Bedford, he served as a lord of the Admiralty under PELHAM and as first lord and secretary of state under GRENVILLE and NORTH. He was reappointed first lord in 1771 and served for 11 years, throughout the War of AMERICAN INDEPENDENCE. This saw Britain lose command of the seas, and Sandwich's administration came in for much criticism, especially after the fall of North. A friend of John WILKES in his youth, Sandwich earned, the nickname "Jemmy Twitcher" ‑ from a character in GAY's Beggar's Opera who betrayed his friends ‑ when he joined in the attack on Wilkes semi‑pornographic "Essay on Woman" in the LORDS. He is enduringly commemorated in the "sandwich", a form of snack he favored because it enabled him to continue playing cards while eating.


Count of Viry’s and Augusta Sandwich’s daughter, Laure de Viry  married Marquis de Ville de Ferrieres, from Savoy, wounded by a Russian sword through the head and shot by a Russian bullet  at the battle of Berezina (sometimes called Borodino), Russia. The French army enlisted him as a mercenary artillery senior officer. As he was flowing back with Napoleon’s Grande Armée from Moscow that was burning, in spite of the bottles of champagne shipped to Napoleon over there by Veuve Clicquot, Cossacks (who surely drank the precious wine) assaulted them. Injured again at the same place by a bullet, he came back from Russia two years later.


His mother was born de Seyssel‑La Charniaz (her see below).



THE HOUSE OF SEYSSEL: The King, later Emperor of Provence, Louis‑l'Aveugle’s [blind] sons , sp. Adelaide, years’ 901‑928, were:


 => Boson, Count of Savoy. The House of Savoy descends from him. His direct lineage: Humbert, Count of Vienne, Amedée, then Humbert Whitehands, then follow the Counts, then Dukes of Savoy, later Kings of Italy (1860);


 => Guiffred, Viscount of Savoy. He gave at least two branches in direct lineage


**» The House of Faucigny and its junior branch, the House of Thoyre that died out in Chillaz family, my family. The last daughter, Marie‑Cesarine de Thoyre, gave her name and her title to my great‑grandfather Baron Louis Machard de Chillaz de Thoyre, her son.


            **» The House of Seyssel, Princes of Orange (so "related" to the House of Orange‑Nassau). Its 9th branch, the Seyssel‑La Chamiaz branch, died out in de Ville de Ferrieres family, my direct ancestors (Baron Louis de Machard de Chillaz de Thoyre ‑ see above ‑ married Delphine de Ville de Ferrieres. Her paternal grandmother was Jeanne de Seyssel‑La Charniaz).



In the Seyssel senior branch, Louis de La Chambre‑Seyssel married:


A) March 25, 1472, Jeanne de Chalon, Jean de Chalon’s daughter, Prince of Orange. He took the title of Prince of Orange.


            B) Feb. 14, 1487, Ann, Bertrand de La Tour d'Auvergne’s and Louise de La Tremouille’s daughter. Widow, Ann who had married first Bertrand Stuart, Duke of Albania, son of the King of Scotland Jack II, from this marriage follows the relationship with the Kings of France Henri Il and his wife Catherine de Medicis, and their son Francois II (Sp. Marie de Medicis).


A German Prince from Holland named Henri von Nassau married later Jean de Chalon's sister and tried to get the title of prince of Orange. Ending a long fight, the both related families (Seyssel and Nassau) agreed a "gentleman’s agreement" or a "peace treaty”: the Nassau family took the title of prince of Orange (April 1559). So, William I von Nassau became William I, Prince of Orange‑Nassau (married Anne de Saxe). Their son was Maurice de Nassau. His half brother was Frederic Henry, William I’s and Louise de Coligny’s son. William II was his grandson and Frederic’s son. So follows William III of Orange‑Nassau (William II’s son) who married Marie II Stuart, Jack II, King of England's daughter.


Protestants called William of Orange to help them. He landed to England and became King of England, his wife Mary became Queen of England.



On July 1695, he (William of Orange) assaulted France and the city of St‑Malo, Brittany, capital of "Corsair‑World", where he lost a store ship: "Saint‑Anne", grabbed by my ancestor Jacques de La Livaudais, Cpt. corsair (twenty-five years old) on July 15, 1695. See below.



Mr. de Ville de Ferrieres (his mother was Jeanne de Seyssel) and Laure de Viry (her mother was Augusta Montagu‑Sandwich) had a daughter, Delphine de Ville de Ferrieres who married Louis, Baron de Machard de Chillaz de Thoyre, my paternal great‑grandfather, as said above. As a mercenary, he was Captain Adjutant Major in the Pope's Army (see below) in "Tirailleurs Franco‑Belges" corps. His own mother was Marie‑Cesarine de Thoyre, belonging the House of old Barons de Faucigny as said.


They had built the House of Thoyre castle to stop the Arabs, so before the year 730. It’s a ruin to day.


Charles Martel defeated the Arabs in Poitiers, France, 732. They flew back to Spain and settled there till 1492. Simultaneously, Christopher Columbus discovered America.


According to authentic patent letters kept by my family, de Chillaz family (my family) had been ennobled (again) the year before, March 1491.



Lord Sandwich had no time to spend for meal (he loved to play cards), so he used to eat a piece of meat between two slices of bread ("no French bread, thank you! "). Cook, the famous British discoverer, gave his name to the Hawaii Islands: "Sandwich Islands" in his honor. Natives "cooked" him in the new found islands.


So, Lord Montagu Sandwich is my direct ancestor. He was an interesting Lord: “corrupt, venal, inefficient” (according to the information given by the British Council in Paris)!.


The King of England demised him, 1782, according to his "success" in America. Nobody understands why! His Majesty was surely wrong!



Another ancestor, a mercenary, senior officer: "Oberistwachmeister" ‑ a kind of super‑Colonel, then ‑ Gaspard Philibert de Machard de Chillaz, born in La Roche, Savoy, according to his tombstone I saw in Bavaria, died thirty-three years old. He was the Great Elector Wittelsbach of Bavaria's Great Chamberlain in Munich (l771).


Another one, Gaspard Philibert's grandson, my great-grandfather Louis, was officer in the Pope's Army (see above mercenary ‑ battle of Castelfidardo, Italy, 1860). He found there Prince Colonna hidden in a baker's oven. Opening the door, he gave him a kick up the backside, "strong enough to rob him of all hope to start a family", according to a history book. And many more...


That is why I prefer Jacques de La Livaudais, another direct ancestor from Saint‑Malo, Brittany, born 1669, Captain Corsair on the corsair‑ship "L'entreprenante" (114 sailors, 14 guns) who assaulted and captured at least three British ships (see above about the bombing of Saint‑Malo, July 1695). He married Marie‑Guillemette Le Jaloux (her father was a Corsair) and died at sea at the beginning of April 1698 (29 years old).


Their son, Jacques (sometimes named Jacques‑Julien, or Jacques II) Livaudais, baptized March 2, 1698, sailed to Louisiana with his sister Pelagie and was one of Louisiana's best sailors at the beginning of the XVIIIth century.


 ==> This is a part of a translated text (from the handwritten "memoirs" by Livaudais himself)


"1706 ‑ I was a volunteer to be enlisted as a corsair (private), in Saint‑Malo, Brittany, on board the frigate "Saint‑Michel ‑ Capt. : Mr. Loyette from Genoa (who became his mother's second husband).


1707 ‑ I did the same trip with Mr. de La Vigne‑Voisin, (his uncle who was a corsair) and Dutertre Daniel, on "Le Duc de Bretagne" and "Le Chasseur".


1708 ‑ I went to Brest (Brittany) as an "ensign" on the "American Galley", Capt. : Mr. de La Vigne‑Voisin to sail to Vera‑Cruz, the fleet under Spanish Flag. Near the Cuba Island, we launched an attack upon six British ships on order of Don Andre de Pez. I sailed one of them as a captain to Vera‑Cruz, Mexico (he was ten years old!).


1710 ‑ From Vera‑Cruz, I came back to Cadiz (Spain) where I went aboard "Le Francais" from St‑Malo as an ensign corsair, Capt.: Mr. Gardin.


1711 ‑ I went aboard the frigate "La Sainte Avoye",  in Saint‑Malo, as second Lt., Capt.: Mr. Lavigne‑Voisin, corsair, to America. During the trip, May 1712, anchors cast in Dauphins Island, Mr. de Bienville, Governor of the Colony, asked for an officer and sailors to my captain to fit out the King's brigantine "Le Saint Nicolas" and sail it to Vera‑Cruz and ship back ammunition and food. I did the trip and brought back that they asked to the Vice‑King (of Mexico).


June 29, 1712, we left Dauphins Island to sail to Cap Francais and went to Carthagena Coast. On October 16, we assaulted a 14-gun pirate vessel ‑ The Capt. : a Portuguese freebooter named Miguelillo who employed 100 sailors. After the capture, only 30 sailors were still alive. I sailed this ship as a captain to Carthagena where were our galleons. A general named Xeres took the pirate ship in the name of the King of Spain et asked for a commanding officer to bring parcels to Royal Courts of France and Spain. As I felt sick in St‑Malo, I gave the parcels to Mr. Lempereur, Commissaire‑Ordonateur of the Navy who sent the parcels.


1716 ‑ Employed in the service of the Occident Company, St‑Malo, I went aboard the frigate "La Victoire", Cpt.: de Rossel, who was an ensign, to Louisiana, myself as a lieutenant.


1718 ‑ The Company gave me the frigate "Le Prophete Daniel" to ship. I sailed it to Guinea.


1720 ‑ The Indies’ Company Managers sent me as a fist Lt. to sail to East Indies. July: I left St‑Malo onboard "La Decouverte" frigate, Cpt.: Mr. de Pontaye under the orders of Mr. de Saint‑Jouan commanding officer of King's vessel "L'Achille" and a 12 vessels squadron.


1721 ‑ October 3, anchors cast in Pisco Bay in Peru. Mr. de Saint‑Jouan asked me to go aboard "L'Achille" as a Lt. until Jan. 1723. Then, we reached France.


1724 ‑ I was the commanding officer on the "L'Hirondelle" frigate from St‑Malo to Cadiz then Canary Islands. 


1726 ‑ They named Mr. Perrier Commandant General of the Louisiana colony. The managers of the Company ordered me to be under his orders as a captain on a brigantine, as I used to speak Spanish (to trade with Spain). I went aboard Dec.1st, in Lorient, France, on the store ship, Cpt. Beranger, reached Cap Francais Jan. 25, where we found the frigate of the Company "L'Hannibal" coming from Guinea. As its captain and first Lt. were dead, Mr. Perier asked me to sail this ship to Louisiana, I reached this place in April.


Mr. de Verger, engineer, commanding La Balize forces gave me an order from Mr. Perrier and Mr. de La Chaise, Directeur, to leave "L'Hannibal" and take over the command of the store ship "La Loere":  the crew had been mutinying against its commanding officer and Lt. I sailed it to New‑Orleans.


1728 ‑ I was in La Mobile with Mr. Perrier where I had contacts with the Commissaire of Pensacola. I heard there were many cattle in Florida. I suggested bringing back some cattle. I left October 2, from New Orleans with two soldiers and a "savage" (Indian) in a rowboat, doubled La Mobile, Pensacola and reached the Spanish Fort Saint‑Marc (to day: St. Marks, on the Caribbean Sea), in the Appalachians. From there I sent back the rowboat and walked to Saint Augustine of  Florida that I reached January 15, 1729, walking about eighty leagues (200 miles - 320 kilometers). I gave the official letters to the Governor, and some days later, I talk to him about my plan to buy cattle. I told him I had no money, because I lived "with the mouth of my rifle". Governor Don Antonio Bonaville asked his Council. This following fact helped me:


"British soldiers from North Carolina laid siege to Saint‑Augustine from land, helped with Indians or "savages", and locked the way in and out the port with a 18-guns British frigate that stopped vessels sent from Spanish Havana city (Cuba) to help the city of St. Augustine.


"I suggested Governor to open myself the way. He agreed. With two pirogues (long small boats used by Indians), I made a platform on which I put an 8-pounder cannon. I added sixteen oars. I went by night to 2/3 of the range of my cannon and began to fire while the sun was raising.


At the third shot, the mooring lines were broken and the frigate left the coast with the help of the wind blowing from land".


St‑Augustine Historical Society confirms: Suj : family history Date: 15/09/98 22:19:17 From: (Historical Society) To:

Best regards from St. Augustine. You have a very interesting family. The only part I can confirm of your story is that Governor Antonio de Benavides was in St. Augustine from 1718 to 1727 and from 1728 to 1734, and the attack to, the city was coming from. Charleston, in the Carolinas and was led by John Palmer. Mr. Palmer preceded to, burn the Indian villages and the missions at the foot of the fort but Gov. Benavides refused to abandon the fort in order to save his garrison. Palmer went back home and the garrison of St. Augustine did not fall. The attack was in 1728. As for your ancestor being here, that I can not confirm. Thank you for your story.



And another message:


            Sub. : Re: Jacques Livaudais Date: 18/09/98 16:50:36 To:


Bruno, in response to your query about your relative, here's what I've been able to find. The Fort Saint‑Marc he speaks of in 1728 as being in the "Appalachians" is more than likely Fort San Marcos de Appalachia, located on the Appalachia River and a state historic site that our garrison still goes to. It is on the Gulf of Mexico side and fits with the 80 leagues walk that he claims. The Governor at that time was Don Antonio Benades, this also, works with what Jacques says.





In 1728, Col. John Palmer carne down from North Carolina to attack St. Augustine in an overland raid that was a part of an undeclared colonial war between Spain and Britain, where both sides were for the most part using Native American surrogates to conduct the actions. Palmer had about 300 militia and Indians on the 1728 raid. So far I've found no mention of a naval element to this raid, but it isn't unlikely that a small vessel of 18 guns might not have been a part of the raid.




"We brought back cattle to Louisiana with twenty-four mulattos. As I stayed in St. Augustine, I wrote to Havana merchants that the cattle were going to be in New Orleans. As they came and did not find anything, they compensated them with money: 45,000 piastres. I left St. Augustine with the twenty-four mulattos and rode through the Appalachian plains. There, for fifteen days, 2,000 heads of cattle were rounded up, while I went to meet savages Cajiutas, about thirty leagues from the French fort of Alibamon to buy horses. There issued an order to give me that I needed. Three days after the beginning of the trip, I heard about 300 British soldiers and Indians. I avoided them and sent my own Indian to follow them. He told me that Fort San‑Marc (to day: St. Marks) had been attacked, and they formed a 100 men detachment who killed my twenty-four mulattos and stole their cattle and my horses.


So I decided to go back home, through the savage nations Abecas, Cajiutas, Talapas and Alibamon and reached New Orleans in May, ending an eight months trip.



1729 ‑ Trip on the brigantine "La Fauvette" to Vera‑Cruz (June 15th ‑ August).


1730 ‑ I visited Barataria (Barataria is a village south to New Orleans, where the pirate Laffite settled later) and made observations I gave to authorities.


1731 ‑ I went to La Balize to wait for Mr. Perrier, Mr. de Salvert, commanding officer of the store ship "La Somme" and the Troupes de la Marine battalions. I came back to New Orleans. I was the officer commanding of "Le Saint‑Louis", ten guns, during the Natchez Indians campaign.


I sailed to one league from the Fort we were assaulting. Mr. Baron de Crene, commanding troops and camp where were stored ammunition and food, was gone to the assaulted fort, Mr. Perrier gave Mr. de Crene a written order to take over the command instead of him. We took the fort with 600 Indians, men, women, children. They embarked the main chiefs on the ship that I sailed back to the city. I sailed over the mouth of the river.


1732 ‑ I shuttled back and forth to Chandeleur Islands to save sailors of the King of Spain frigate "La Vigilante", Cpt.: Don Joseph de Pio, who was lost because of a storm


1733 ‑ I took over the command of the King's ship "Le Saint‑Louis" to Vera‑Cruz. We embarked eighty Spaniards. I reached Vera Cruz the 5th day. The 10-day trip surprised Marquis de Casa Fuete Viarray. This man paid the debt to Louisiana colony based on £ 3 and ten "sous" a piastre. I bought a new ship and ammunition for the Pensacola garrison. I shuttle back and forth to avoid any suspicion of trade. I got a loan of 4,000 piastres to carry out a plan I made with a society. So, we executed the orders of Mr. Perrier. I paid the debts I had. I left Vera Cruz to Pensacola, with two King’s ships (one of them full of food and ammunition). I reached La Balise on May 22, after a four months trip where I found Mr. Perrier who was going to France on the King's store ship "la Gironde": Cpt. Mr. de Martin.


1733 ‑ I received the order to sent to Pensacola the ship with foods and ammunition to the King's of Spain troops (about 100 men). I reimbursed the loan by ship.


1734 ‑ I got promoted captain of the port of New‑Orleans.


1735 ‑ As I was the commander of the King's ship "L'Aigle Noir", I tried to attack two traitorous British ships in La Mobile bay. The British were alerted when I left the port. So I did not find any of them. I came back, very sorry in New Orleans. I gave help to build some ships for the Chicachas Indians war.


1736 ‑ I prepared all the fitting out of the ships of the army to assault these Indians using La Mobile River. I did this campaign.


1738 ‑ I was patented as a store ship Capt.


1739 ‑ I sailed the King's store ships "La Somme", "La Charmante" and "L'Atlas", Cpt.: Mr. de Villere, de Bertoville and de Querlore. I campaigned during Assumption against Chicachas Indians.


1740 ‑ I went on a row boat to visit west part of Chandeleur Island to St‑Joseph bay.


1740 ‑1745 I used to sail in and out the port the Kings ships without any accident. Sailing out the store ship "Le Chasseur", Cpt.: Pouillade, I found a merchant ship "Le Gaillard" from Bordeaux, France, aground in 4 feet of water, without either rudder or rowboat. I saved this ship.


1746 ‑ The channel of La Balize was too sandy, so I used the new pass to, sail in the King's frigate "La Matine", Cpt. M. Keslin.


1747 ‑ I sailed in down the river and sailed out the King's frigate "La Megere", Cpt.: Keslin, we visited south east and east passes with Mr. de Vaudreuil, Govern Normurin (?) Commissaire General.


1749 ‑ "Le Marquis de Vaudreuil" vessel, coming from Marseille, France, sank in the mouth of the river, two leagues from La Balize. I went to help him and saved most of the freight with some ships although more than 24 inches of water flooded over the first deck.


1754 ‑ I sailed the store ship "Le Rhinoceros", Cpt.: Mr. de Guillon


1756 ‑ "Le Message" Cpt.: Mr. Marcheseaux.


1757 ‑ I went aboard the King’s vessel "Le Saint‑Jean" for the trip to Vera‑Cruz and Mexico. I left Apr. 19, reached Vera‑Cruz May 20 where I did that Mr. Keslin and Mr. de Clusaux asked for and came back to New Orleans in August. I built some boats for service.


1758 ‑ The frigate "L'Opale" Cpt.: Mr. Chevalier de Plas reached La Balize with the store ship "La fortune" with "Le Patriote" and "Le Bizarre" I sailed in the port at night. "La Fortune" and others came some days later. I sailed the ship to the city where we repaired it.


Since Jacques‑Julien was Captain of the port of New Orleans, 1764, he would go to Vera Cruz (Mexico) to buy gun powder. The British navy would wait for him near Balize, just before the dangerous and sandy passes. Livaudais and his vessel "L'Opale" would get back home at night, without any light to be unnoticed, so that he would not have to use the much prized gun powder for his defense.


He knew the heigh of the tides and the position of the moving sandy passes. They gave this information from New Orleans in a secret appointment place to the ship coming from France, and used according to the draught (heigh of water) by the Cpt. or Livaudais himself.


Jacques-Julien married Marie Genevieve Babin de La Source from [La] Mobile. His sister Marguerite Pelagie married Johachim Scimard de Bellisle, from Fontenenay‑le‑Comte, France. As this man was trying to get a new way through Louisiana from La Rochelle, France, he got lost and wandered for one year in Texas, avoiding forts, and was found by an Indian near LaMobile. This Indian alerted Juchereau de Saint‑Denis.


His grandson Jacques III de Livaudais (sp. Carlota Chauvin Léry des Islets [or Dessilet]) had a plantation in New Orleans and his great‑grandson, Jacques IV, went to France in 1788, enlisted in Lafayette National Guard in Chaussée d’Antin, Paris, took part in the assault of the Bastille (l 4 juillet (July)1789, the French National day or Bastille Day) as a National Guard. He was elected Captain 1790. Problem: His election sheet as a captain mentions: "enlisted about July 18, 1789 in French National Guard". However, he returned to Louisiana with a certificate thanking him for military services "during all the French revolution".


Anyway, It was a good thing because Governor Kerlerec, French Governor of Louisiana, sent Pedro de Marigny's father, “at His Majesty Pleasure”, to jail there, some years before. He surely met there the "divine" Marquis de Sade (the word "sadistic" comes from his name) who did not play either craps or poker, at all. That was surely sad. In fact: they were not in jail simultaneously]


This Jacques de Livaudais married Marie‑Celeste de Marigny de Mandeville (both my direct grand father and mother), another Pedro de Marigny's daughter, see above. Livaudais was the Lt‑Colonel of the New Orleans militias, patented by King of Spain Don Carlos (July 12, 1792), then by Napoleon, patent letter undersigned: Prefect Colonial Laussat.


Marie‑Celeste dropped her husband, sold all her land in New‑Orleans and came to Paris and held court with the title of "Marquise de Marigny de Mandeville". She lived avenue de Marigny!


I have been wondering for years if Marie Celeste de Marigny, my ancestor, was related to Abel de Marigny. This architect built the Palais de L’Elysée, the residence of the President of the French Republic, in Avenue de Marigny. Abel de Marigny was Marquise de Pompadour’s brother. Marquise de Pompadour was King of France, Louis XV’s favorite.


Pauline Stephanie de Livaudais (father : Jacques de Livaudais, above, mother: Marie Celeste de Marigny), married Daniel Hippolyte du Suau de La Croix, from Saint Bernard Parish, Louisiana.


The Marigny family from New Orleans and Marquise de Pompadour were surely related because Emmanuel du Suau de La Croix (see below), Marie Celeste’s grandson, was born in Petit Val castle, belonging to… Abel de Marigny.


Their son Emmanuel Henri Frederick Enguerrand du Suau de La Croix married Adeline Aubert de Vincelles. According to the Aubert de Vincelles family: one of their ancestors, Thomas Aubert, went to Canada with famous discoverer Verrazzano ‑ sponsored by Jean Ango ‑ aboard the vessel "La pensee", 1508 (according to the monthly Historia #571, page #74 ‑ so 26 years before Jacques Cartier, official discoverer. He brought back Indians Mic-Mac to Rouen, France).


Their daughter, Odette du Suau de La Croix married Marquis Moisson Mareschal de Monteclain, descending from King Louis XIV's surgeon, who created the French Academy of Surgery with Lapeyronie. Then, the King told him: Mareschal, I heard that you can play with words, say something funny about me. "No, Majesty, answered the surgeon, Your Majesty is not a subject! ..."


King Louis XIV had a bad leg because of gangrene. He chose his doctor Guy Fagon's talent to treat him. Some people say: if he had used the Marquis Mareschal de Bievre’s competence (an Irish barber named Marshall and official surgeon): King Louis XIV would be still alive . . .  Possible!


Their daughter is my maternal grandmother. She married a man whose mother used to wait his husband with his true and superb French uniform in the Molsheim (Alsace, France) railway station. A curious multicolored troop of soldiers used to follow them everywhere.


The most famous de Marigny is Marie‑Celeste's brother, Bernard de Marigny de Mandeville, my uncle, who founded the city of Mandeville, Louisiana. He was (supposed to be) the inventor of the poker game (from the British craps game he learnt while studying in London).


Some people said he killed at least nineteen persons in dueling (he used swords. In d'Estrehan family they preferred whale harpoons. His teacher was his excellent friend Jean Lafitte (legal profession: a pirate) and he is supposed to have had a friendship with David Crockett (from a French "Huguenot" family, named de Croquetagne, who settled in Tennessee 1665 ‑ having a premonition of the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes, 1685, by King of France Louis XIV ‑ facts confirmed in Tennessee).


Bernard de Marigny obtained the help from Baratarians and from his friend Jean Lafitte before the famous Battle of New Orleans (1814‑1815).


            The British Navy tried first to buy Laffite's fleet (1000 sailors, more than fifty stolen vessels) to defeat the Americans. Finally, Lafitte and Marigny joined U.S. General Jackson. Lafitte told the British he would not help them.


They regarded Bernard as "the richest man in America". Some people said he met, later, Jesse James (no proof).


     From the Internet: St. Bernard Parish ‑ LA ‑ USA:

     Researching Name: Bernard deMarigny Email of Researcher: Donald deMarigny


Comments: How much money did he lend to the US. to help gain our freedom, where to find the documentation and dates of the loan and amounts. Names and birth dates of his children and wives. names and birth dates of his parents and siblings and his wives parents and siblings. Thank You.



Bernard de Marigny de Mandeville's son, Jean Philippe, married Sophronie Claiborne, daughter of the first American Governor [they changed her name in the  French version of the Cecil B. DeMille film, "The Buccaneers", starring Yul Bruyner and Charlton Heston]. Lafitte was not an one‑eyed pirate. Here is the proof: he had one eye screwed on his spyglass and the other one on the pretty low necked Sophronie Claiborne.



Jean Philippe's sister, Marie Rosa de Marigny married Francisco de Santemanat, Spanish officer, Governor of Tabasco, Mexico. Ones wanted him to be President of Mexico instead of general Santa‑Anna. They caught and sent him to the firing squadron!


Rosa was widowed by Sentmanat and married, as a second husband, her first cousin, Jacques Adolphe Esnoul de Livaudais, brother of Pauline Stephanie Esnoul de Livaudais, who married Daniel Hippolyte du Suau de la Croix.



            Jean Philippe's daughter, Marie‑Suzette, married Philip Evan Thomas. Their daughter, Suzette de Marigny‑Thomas married William Cornelius Hall.



Their daughter, Suzette de Marigny‑Hall, married Charles Dewey, US Senator, the favorite Republican candidate's cousin for the US Presidential elections of 1948 ‑ Republican Thomas E. Dewey, first Attorney General (he fought the mafia: see Lucky Luciano, Al Capone, The Untouchables and Elliott Ness), then New York State Governor, then beaten by Harry Truman as a President of USA (1948)


            At the end of WW2, as liberating US General Lucian Truscott was about to reach Sorans Castle, my mother's castle in Franche‑Comte, east of France, they parachuted an officer into the park: he was Colonel Peter Dewey, Cincinnati, Charles' son and Thomas Dewey's nephew.


He wanted to see his cousins (my mother) and did not know the Germans were in the woods all around, clearing off.


Seeing the flow of battle turning against him, the German general who used the castle as his headquarter for the duration of the war, entered the living room and said "Excuse us for the disturbance, bye, bye!".


U.S. General Truscott made his HQ there with 5,000 soldiers!


Colonel Peter Dewey (OSS), went to Indochina (now Viet‑Nam) at the end of WW2 to give weapons to communist Viet‑Minh. Simultaneously the British intelligence service MI5 did the same to non-Communists Viet‑Nam. They decapitated Peter Dewey in Saigon, 1945.


About Dewey family:


Charles S. Dewey is a distant relative (in fact, Charles S. Dewey was Thomas E. Dewey's uncle  (13th degree).  The Dewey Family in the USA springs from Thomas Dewey, The settler, who came to the Colonies circa 1632 from Sandwich, Kent, England.  He settled first near Boston and later relocated to Windsor, CT.  Here he married a widow, Frances Randall Clark.  They had four sons and a daughter, Anna.  All of the Dewey's flow from either, Thomas II, Josiah, Israel or Jedediah.


Both Charles and Thomas are from the Josiah.  The lines are as follows to the settler:


   Charles Schuveldt Dewey:


   Albert B. Dewey and Louise Schuveldt

   Chauncey Dewey and Nancy Pritchard

   Eliphalet Dewey and Rachel Ann Hyde

   Daniel Dewey and Temperance Bailey

   John Dewey and Experience Woodward

   Josiah Dewey II and Mehitable Miller

   Josiah Dewey and Hepzibah Lyman

   Thomas Dewey, The Settler.



   Thomas Edmund Dewey

   George Martin Dewey II

   George Martin Dewey and Emma Bingham         

   Granville Dewey and Harriet Freeman

   Martin Dewey and Hannah Waterman

   Elijah Dewey and Agigail Martin

   William Dewey and Mercy Bailey

   Josiah II


   Thomas, The Settler


They published the Dewey Family History in 1898 to commemorate the naval victory of Admiral George Dewey (also from Josiah) over the Spanish Navy at Manila Bay.  The book has 1117 pages.


            The Dewey family finds its roots in the city of Douai, France.  They do not know it if they named the town or took the town name for their surname.  Legend has it that some Dewey's (de La Wey at the time) went with William the Conqueror.  Later Dewey fled France because of religious persecution.  Thomas Dewey, The Settler, was born in England.  The record shows that they were at least three generations ahead of him.



Another, Ernest de Marigny, took a financial partnership with the Duke of Windsor (married to American divorced person Wallis Simpson) and an American millionaire, Mr. Oakes, to create casinos in Paradise Island in Nassau ‑ Bahamas (Windsor had been a Nazis’ friend and Bahamas Governor during WW2).


Marigny married Oakes’ daughter- this is not really a fairy tale - and someone murdered Oakes sometimes later. Marigny was suspected of being the murderer. Later, the Duke admitted having hired American private investigators to make faked proofs so that Marigny would go to jail (there are many books about that story).


When two cousins are fighting: grandfather judges and makes peace. Why didn't they contact me to find a solution? That is the question.


During a period of more than 1,000 years, they were only two really regular (I mean neither mercenary, nor a corsair, nor a pirate, nor even a cow boy) Army officers: my father and me!



My father, Baron Pierre de Chillaz, born 1913, was an officer in the French light calvary (with horses). Issued from St‑Cyr (our West Point) school, he became an officer in 1936 and chose the 1st Regiment of Moroccan Spahis (Morocco was French then).


In June 1940, everyone regarded the war organization as "perfect". The German Siemens Society electrified the French Ligne Maginot to protect the country from German army.

Everything was right. Here is the proof: they sent him with his squadron and horses to Alsace (east of France, on the German border) while German troops flew in (with their tanks) from the north.


The exodus of civilians on the roads steered him away from the Stukas Messerschmitt aircraft machine guns. He only heard the sirens as the aircraft dove and began shooting at the civilians.


Later in his life, Father, always the incorrigible hunter, forgot this part of tragic history, but he remained nostalgic for the deers that he saw in the woods. His squadron was forced to ride in the woods along the roads blocked off by the civilians refugees.


Defeated, The French Gov. dissolved the French army. They divided France in two parts: "an occupied zone" in the north and "a free zone" in the south.


Father left the army and went to the village of Peyrilhac in Limousin (center of France) in the "free zone" to a farm belonging to his father‑in‑law. There, he organized the local resistance to the German enemy. Later, all the country became the "occupied zone" too. During this period he assaulted the convoys of German military trucks on the road.


Once, Nazis arrested him and they sent him to the east of Germany in a freight train car. The sliding car door was closed with a twisted wire.


            In this freight car was a man with a skimmer in his haversack. The prisoners used this skimmer to untwist the wire through the cleft of the door, using the holes of the skimmer.


Only my father and one other man jumped out. Father returned to Limousin on foot (about 400 miles).


Some days later, a German officer went to my grandmother's house, his mother who lived in Palaiseau, near Paris. He told her: "Your son, a prisoner of war, escaped from a freight train headed for Germany. We recaptured and shot him! ".


Immediately, German soldiers came with tools and began to dismantle my grandmother's staircase, step by step!




By a warm evening in early June 1944, my father, accompanied by men who belong to the resistance, rode a bicycle to a drop zone near the village of Peyrilhac. Several trucks were there to carry the weapons parachuted by the British Royal Air Force.


Father chose a submachine gun ‑ a famous British Sten called "tommy‑gun" without any bullets ‑ and some hand grenades from the British parachuted containers. He then led the convoy back to the secret weapons’ storage dump.


Before crossing on their way back to the village of Peyrilhac, the group came to, a road on their right. The trucks would use this road, a little later, hearing the battle in the center of the village avoiding it by another way. Father alone took the direct way to, the village.


Riding his bicycle, my father reached the village square. There were several outside cafes where German soldiers from "SS Das Reich" division were drinking. It was very warm. Their weapons were on the ground. The old church of the village was on the right.


As he biked down a slope road, a German soldier who guarded the center village square spotted and stopped Father. This guard armed with a rifle asked my father for the password.


My father had forgotten the ammunition for his submachine gun (and did not know how to use it!) He could not reach his useless hand grenades on the bike rack. Instead, he grabbed and raised his bicycle by the frame pulling it over the head and down to the waist of the soldier. The bike’s frame pinned both of the soldier’s arms as the bicycle also drove into the middle of his back.


            Then all the SS infantry company soldiers who were drinking, took up their rifles and submachine guns and began to shoot at my father who ran on all fours, rolling on the ground, around the village place to exit and escape.


Today, one can see these three foot high bullet holes in each house and in the wall of the old church.


Father escaped, in the night to return to his father‑in‑law's house, one mile from there on the road to the village of Oradour‑sur‑Glane. The next day, he went to Peyrilhac to buy cigarettes and noticed that the village was empty. All the residents were hiding in the woods.


The next week, the "SS Das Reich German" soldiers burned the neighboring village of Oradour‑sur‑Glane. They burned the church and the female hostages within. The village men were shot, and they killed 640 civilians including 200 children this day, June 10, 1944. As a reprisal for French Resistance action: The "D Day" was finished in Normandy and allied forces were on their way to Paris. So the SS German infantry tried to go to the north to stop the expedition.


In Limousin country, they nearly completely cut and all the trees along the roads as abattis. German soldiers began to steal bicycles, leaving empty cars. So, Limousin country had to go without nails for years.


I was two months old and was buried in a dunk heap. Today, I still smell bad!


            I got a false birth certificate: "Father occupation: agricultural engineer" instead of "cavalry officer". He was really prudent!



My great-grandmother was Mrs. Kling. She lived in the Alsatian town of Molsheim, France. Alsace became German territory after the war of 1870 and remained so until the end of WW I in 1918.


Mrs. Kling married a French officer (a real one, as she used to say.)  She was the heir of "La Manufacture Royale d'Armes de Klingenthal" (a then famous sword factory.)  Thus, she was a very wealthy person.


Because she did not like to live in the garrisoned cities, she settled in her castle in Molsheim.  Stationed in France, her husband used to come by train through the German border on the Vosges Mountains to visit with her. He stayed there about forty-five days per year.


When it reached the Franco‑German border, the train would stop at the exact same check point every time. This stop was in a desert area far from any train station, village, or town, on the Franco‑German border.  It was there that the trains entered Germany.


At that isolated point three German soldiers would wait along the tracks for the train's arrival so that they would replace the three French soldiers accompanying Mrs. Kling's husband (“one man for the two horses, two for the officer.”)  The Germans were keeping proper track of the whereabouts of the French Lt‑Colonel, her husband.


My mother also told me the following stories:


When she was a young lady, Mrs. Kling had a friend named Ernestine Habernickel. This lady married a German officer: Captain Domeyer. Accordingly, Mrs. Kling was no longer allowed by her parents to see her friend and that made her very sad.


Years later, on All Souls' Day, November 2, my mother, her grandmother, and the driver would go to the cemetery in Molsheim.  There, Mrs. Kling would ask the driver, Mr. Gustave, to put flower wreaths on the five family tombs.


When this was done, Grandmother Kling would invariably say: "My God, I forgot my friend!"  She would then turn to the driver: "Gustav, are there anymore wreaths left in the car?"

"Yes, Madam," he would always reply. Gustav would then put a superb wreath of flowers on her best friend's tomb.


Then, grandmother Kling would also suddenly remember her friend’s husband: "Oh, my God, I forgot that stupid German officer! Nobody ever thinks of him!”

"Gustav, is there another wreath in the car?"

"Yes, Madam!"

"Please put it on that tomb!"


It was the same scenario every year and she always had the right amount of wreaths in the car!




Then a wall divided the cemetery in Molsheim into two areas.  Thus, it seemed to my mother that they buried Ernestine Habernickel and her husband very close to one another: they buried the wife in the Roman Catholic side, and they interred her husband in the Protestant side of the wall.


When I visited the cemetery, fifty years later with my mother, there was a little sign on Ernestine Habernickel's tomb. It said: "The Family must repair this tomb, or we will remove it." My mother said to me: "I must pay for the repair." As she was walking to Cpt. Domayer's tomb – the German officer – she saw the same sign on his tomb. My mother said, "I must pay for him too. Nobody thinks of him!" Later in the car, to carry on a family tradition, Mother said, "We will never finish with that stupid German officer!"


Mr. Ettore Bugatti and Mr. Marco, his first engineer, often visited Mrs. King. Mr. Bugatti was the famous car builder. He lived in a superb castle very close to Mrs. Kling's castle in Molsheim.  She did not want one of those automobiles "without a running board" and "not high enough to sit with a hat with straight feathers without tilting the head!"


Mrs.Kling had eleven house workers, and her cabman was named Johan Sebastian Bach!


At the beginning of WW II, a German general came and told Mrs. Kling he wanted to use her home for the "Komandantur" (Headquarters of the German Army.)  My great‑grandmother told him she was sorry but this could not be so because during WW I, the place had a VIP and "higher class" guest: the Kronprinz, German Kaiser William II's son.


She explained that the Kaiser's son and old Marshal Hiddenburg used to play cards very late in the evening, and they were so drunk that they were never able to go to the restroom to relieve themselves.


Upon the general's dubious look, she invited him to follow her into the living room.  She stopped in front of an armchair and said, "Look and smell it by yourself!  Do I lie?"  She pushed the general who fell nose first into the seat cushion!


The following day, with the agreement and help of the local population, they burned all her books from her library in the center of town, except the leather kept for the German army. They hanged her dogs (mixed dogs and wolves).  All her lands in sixty‑two parishes and her castle were confiscated in the name of the 3rd Reich.  So, one of the biggest farms in Alsace, named Riedhof, Hilsenheim, became 3rd Reich property.


Nazis then deported Mrs. Kling to France (Alsace became German till 1945) and went to Sorans Castle (see above about Dewey), her son's castle.  She told him she was only able to save bibles and religious books that were in her car.


However, she was happy because she had left the key of her safe on it to be sure to find it whenever she would return home, and she also wrote the combination on its door.  Prudent and wise, was not she?


She died 1942 and had been buried in the chapel in Sorans, her son's castle.


As fate would have it, Allied forces destroyed the village of Marigny (now included in the village of Longues-sur-Mer, Calvados, France) during D Day. The US Senator had sold the Dewey’s abbey.


What a deadly boring family!


Heroes are tired, even Daddy Sandwich!


"Laisse le bon temps rouler..."


Votre très humble et très dévoué Serviteur,


Bruno de Chillaz


Photo Album